Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality
Facebook Frames with New Possibilities
Facebook launched its Augmented and Virtual Reality Frames back in 2019 when marketers were still not sure how to incorporate them into their campaigns. But now, some of the most successful businesses across the world have started using them to improve their marketing game. As the current COVID 19 pandemic continues to promote strict 'social-distancing', these AR frames can come in handy for both buyers and sellers. Businesses can use them to simulate real-life in-store buying experiences, while their customers can virtually test out the products before purchasing.
As a customer, imagine testing out how a new pair of sunglasses would look on your face, or how a particular piece of furniture would fit into your living room, all through your smartphone without ever leaving your home. Such an experience can be breath-taking for customers shopping online, and as a brand, if you’re able to put this to use, you will see the results. Read on to find out more about Facebook frames and their AR/VR functionalities.
What is a Facebook Frame and AR/VR?
Facebook frames are similar to Instagram and Snapchat filters in the sense that they allow users to add different designs to their images. Users can use these frames to enhance the pictures aesthetically or convey a message more effectively. Facebook added simple AR concepts to its frames and launched AR-based ads in late 2019. These AR-driven frames use sophisticated Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques to detect specific objects, such as facial features of humans, in the images and then apply different effects to them.
Brands have been using these AR frames to let their customers test out products virtually before they continue to make the final purchase online. This feature helps build trust in the product since the customers can see if it even works for them before they proceed to pay, or not.
How Can I Make a Facebook Frame or AR/VR Effect for Myself?
Facebook provides its tools for creating frames. Simple 2D frames for stories and profile photos can be created through the Frame Studio by Facebook; however, creating AR and VR frames requires the use of Spark AR Studio.
Here is how you can create frames for Facebook through the Frame Studio:
- Log on to https://developers.facebook.com/products/frame-studio/ and sign-in with your Facebook account. Click on ‘Create a Frame’ to get started. It will lead to a separate page where you can use the Frame Studio.
- Click on ‘Create Frame’ on the page that you land on to proceed.
- Here, you will need to upload the PNG image you want to use as the frame. Make sure the image is not 100% opaque if you are going to use it over the complete picture. Click on ‘Upload Art’ and upload the image.
- Resize the image to fit it wherever you want on the screen and adjust all the relevant settings that appear. Once done, click on ‘Next’ to proceed.
- Now, you need to name the frame, select the location, and specify the keywords that you want your frame to appear for in the search results.
- On the next screen, Facebook will show you the final preview for your frame. Click on ‘Publish’ to send the frame for approval. Once approved, the frame will be ready to use.
Once your frame has been published on the list, applying it to your pictures is very simple.
- Click on the profile picture you want to apply it on and select ‘Add Frame’.
- Search from the list that appears and apply.
The Spark AR Studio by Facebook provides hundreds of easy-to-use templates and asset libraries you can use to create AR frames. It has an advanced set of controls on face tracking and working with textures and materials that allow you to develop high-quality Augmented Reality frames. Using the Spark AR Studio might feel a little intimidating at first. Still, you can go through the detailed tutorials provided by Facebook on how to use the software to get familiar with everything. You can then start using it to create any AR frames you want.
How Can I Make a Facebook Frame or an AR/VR Effect for My Business?
Simple Facebook frames for stories and profile photos can come in handy for promoting your business and increasing customer engagement. . In contrast, AR and VR frames can go another mile to enrich customer experiences.
You can create a frame for your business in the same way as listed above. When you log in to the website to create the frame, make sure you change the account from personal to your business.
Once done creating, make sure you add all the keywords that are related to your brand or the specific campaign for which you’re creating the frame. In the same way, create an AR/VR frame on Spark AR Studio and promote it as much as you can through your campaigns to multiply the effect of your campaigns many times.
Creative Specifications of Facebook Frames and AR/VR Effects
Here are some creative features Facebook Frames provide to help you bring your ideas to life:
- Transparent Filters
Facebook allows you to create transparent overlays for pictures and stories. These transparent filters set over the complete picture or a part of it. You can use your brand’s logo or the tag line here for promotion.
- Audio Enabled
The AR/VR frames you create through the Spark AR Studio can have audio with them. A specific sound effect or background music can be played while you use the frame.
- Face Tracking
This feature is one of the most useful ones of AR frames. They can track the facial features of the user and apply certain effects to it. This makes it ideal to be used by makeup companies or the ones that manufacture facial accessories to let their customers try their products out virtually.
- Particle & Textures
The frames can track moving objects through their textures. This also allows you to create, display, and move objects in great numbers using particles.
Business Successes with Facebook Frames or AR/VR (with hard data)
Some of the most successful brands across the world have been using Facebook AR and Frames to create campaigns that are high on customer engagement and reach wide audiences easily. Here are some businesses that have achieved success due to Facebook frames and AR/VR effects:
- Michael Kors, the fashion brand, was the first advertiser to test out Facebook's AR. Their ads allow the users to click on the "tap to try it on" button to superimpose a pair of Michael Kors sunglasses on their faces to see how they look and then make a purchase directly.
- We Make-Up, an Italian cosmetic store, has used Facebook’s AR ads to achieve a 53% increase in the click-through rate as compared to regular ads. They have seen a 28-point increase in purchases, whereas a 7.9-point increase in brand awareness. A similar cosmetics brand, Sephora, has also been using the same concept and has seen a lot of success.
- IKEA uses an AR app that allows customers to fit a particular piece of furniture, virtually in their homes, and see whether it looks good. This has helped them improve their brand image and has landed them into an A+ rating in the marketplace.
- Leflair, a Vietnamese eCommerce company, allows certain products such as sunglasses or cosmetics to be tested out virtually through Facebook’s AR ads. This feature has increased their sales by 7%, product views by 10%, and the percentage of their products getting added to the shopping cart by 19%.
Using the AR and VR features of Facebook frames, many brands have been successful in increasing their traffic and business. They have been successful in bringing people closer and feel special. The 3D posts, photos, and videos have succeeded in developing brand awareness more than ever before. It's undoubtedly one of the best features for you and your business.